this week we chat with author anne jackson about her struggles with porn addiction and burnout while working in the church, along with her two books, mad church disease and permission to speak freely.
as a related note from the show’s wrap we discussed some of the recent stats regarding church pastors in the U.S. frank viola and george barna share some of these stats in their book, pagan christianity:
At the time of this writing there are reportedly more than 500,000 paid pastors serving churches in the United States.
- 94 percent feel pressured to have an ideal family
- 90 percent work more than forty-six hours a week
- 81 percent say they have insufficient time with their spouses
- 80 percent believe that pastoral ministry affects their family negatively
- 70 percent do not have someone they consider a close friend
- 70 percent have lower self-esteem than when they entered the ministry
- 50 percent feel unable to meet the demands of the job
- 80 percent are discouraged or deal with depression
- More than 40 percent report they are suffering from burnout, frantic schedules and unrealistic expectations
- 33 percent consider pastoral ministry an outright hazard to the family
- 33 percent have seriously considered leaving their position in the past year
- 40 percent of pastoral resignations are due to burnout
NOTE: we apologize for cutting the audio short during the interview due to some audio issues. if you’d like to listen to the last 10 minutes or so of the podcast you can download audio here.